Discover this irresistible recipe, al dente pasta coated in a garlic, anchovy and chilli sauce. All topped with a crunchy mix of golden breadcrumbs. A pure delight!
What do we need to make it
The full list of ingredients can be found in the recipe card at the end of this article.
- Sourdough bread: We have chosen sourdough bread, but any type of bread can be used to make the breadcrumbs.
- Lemon zest: This is the thin outer layer of lemon peel. It adds a fresh, fragrant flavor to dishes.
- Anchovies: With their pronounced flavor, anchovies enhance the taste of the sauce. They are the centerpiece of this recipe.
- Calabrian pepper: A type of dry pepper from the Italian region of Calabria, offering robust heat and a fruity aroma.
- Parmesan: We always prefer to buy it in a block and grate it at the last minute. This is the best way to preserve its aromas.
- Herbs: Parsley and basil are used to enhance the flavor of this dish with fresh herbaceous notes.
How to make it
Full instructions in the recipe card below
- Prepare the Garlic and Breadcrumbs.
- Cook the Breadcrumb Mixture.
- Prepare the Sauce.
- Cook the Pasta, combine Pasta and Sauce.
- Add Cheese.
- Season and Serve.
Fresh green salad: A simple salad with lettuce leaves, arugula or other fresh greens. You can dress it with a light vinaigrette of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Grilled vegetables: Vegetables such as grilled zucchini, peppers or asparagus would add a touch of freshness and texture alongside the pasta.
Roasted cherry tomatoes: Oven-roasted cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil, salt and pepper would be an excellent sweet and tangy complement to counterbalance the richness of the recipe.
Dry white wine: If you're serving this dish with a glass of wine, a dry white wine such as a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio might work well with the flavors.
Storing Leftover Pasta:
Cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
Reheating Leftover Pasta:
Use stovetop, microwave, or oven. Add a bit of liquid (water or sauce) to prevent drying. Heat until warmed through, stirring as needed. Avoid overcooking to prevent mushiness.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Discover this irresistible recipe: al dente pasta coated in a garlic, anchovy and chilli sauce. All topped with a crunchy mix of golden breadcrumbs. A pure delight!
8 garlic cloves
5 ounces sourdough or other crusty bread, crust removed
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Salt, freshly ground pepper a teaspoon of each
¼ cup +3 tablespoons (or more) olive oil
4 oil-packed anchovy fillets
2 oil-packed Calabrian chiles, very finely chopped, or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon (or more) fresh lemon juice
12 ounces spaghetti, or linguine
2 ounces finely grated Parmesan
½ cup finely chopped parsley or basil
2 tablespoons butter
- Prepare the Garlic and Breadcrumbs: Finely slice 4 garlic cloves into strips and set aside. Chop the remaining 4 garlic cloves as finely as possible until completely chopped. Blend the bread into small crumbs. Finely chop the two chilies.
- Cook the Breadcrumb Mixture: Heat the oil in a large casserole or other large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the breadcrumb mixture with the 4 minced garlic cloves and the zest of half a lemon, stirring often, until golden and crisp, about 5-10 minutes. Transfer the breadcrumb mixture to a bowl.
- Prepare the Sauce: Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in the same pan over medium-low heat. Cook the reserved sliced garlic, stirring occasionally, until golden around the edges, about 1 minute. Add the anchovies and chiles and cook, stirring, until the anchovies have dissolved about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Cook the Pasta: Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 3 minutes less than indicated on the package.
- Combine Pasta and Sauce: Transfer the pasta to the saucepan with the sauce and a cup of pasta cooking water. Cook, stirring often, until the pasta is al dente. Add a little pasta cooking water if necessary.
- Add Cheese and Season: Then gradually add the cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, butter, and half the bread crumb mixture, and stir until everything is well combined and the butter has melted. If the pasta seems dry, add more pasta cooking water and oil.
- Season and Serve: Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide pasta among bowls. Top with remaining breadcrumb mixture. Enjoy your meal!
Don't burn the breadcrumbs: When browning with garlic and lemon zest, stir frequently to prevent burning. The breadcrumbs should turn golden and crisp without burning.
Adjust the consistency: If the sauce seems too dry, feel free to add a little more pasta cooking water and olive oil to achieve the desired consistency.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Pan
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: anchovy pasta with garlic breadcrumbs, anchovy breadcrumb pasta, anchovy pasta, garlic pasta