This creamy cherry tomato pasta is so easy and so good. A few tomatoes, a little cream, some good pasta and you're done.
1/2 lb - 225g pasta, we used rigatoni
12 oz - 350g cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp - 13g olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp - 26g tomato paste
1 cup - 235 ml cream
1 oz - 30g parmesan, finely freshly grated
1/4 cup - 60 ml pasta cooking water
1 tsp - 3g basil
1/2 tsp - 1.5g chili flakes, optional
Salt and finely ground pepper, to taste
- Boil the Pasta: Fill a pot with water and add a generous amount of salt. Bring the water to a boil. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until it's "al dente," which means it's still slightly firm to the bite. Drain the cooked pasta and set it aside.
- Make the Tomato Sauce: In a pan, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté until it becomes fragrant and lightly golden.
- Add Cherry Tomatoes: Add the cherry tomatoes to the pan with the garlic. Cook them until they become tender. You can gently press and crush the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon as they cook. This helps release their juices and flavor.
- Introduce Tomato Paste: Stir in the tomato paste and cook it along with the tomatoes. This adds richness and depth to the sauce.
- Incorporate Cream and Seasonings: Pour in the cream and season the sauce with salt, pepper, and any desired herbs or seasonings. Stir well to combine.
- Combine with Pasta: Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the tomato sauce. Grate or sprinkle some Parmesan cheese over the pasta. You can also add a bit of pasta water (the water you reserved when draining the pasta) to help create a smooth and silky sauce. This starchy pasta water can enhance the texture of the sauce.
- Finish and Serve: Stir everything together until the sauce is well incorporated and the pasta is coated with the creamy tomato sauce.
Vegan version: You can make a vegan version of this recipe by replacing the cream with vegetal cream such as soya cream. For the parmesan, you can replace it with a vegetarian hard cheese.
Pasta cooking water: Don't forget to save a little of the cooking water to improve the sauce's texture if necessary.
Add-in suggestions: You can add chicken, turkey, bacon, pancetta, shrimp, bell pepper, mushrooms, or spinach leaves. For chicken, turkey, and prawns cook it first then take it out. Add them to the sauce at the end. Bacon, pancetta, and vegetables can be added when the garlic is half-cooked. Spinach leaves can be added to the sauce at the last minute.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Pan
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pasta, Cherry Tomatoes, Cream, tomato pasta, pasta with tomato sauce