Butternut pasta is a delicious fall recipe. Butternut can be used in a multitude of recipes, and here we've made a sauce that's as beautiful as it is tasty. We fall in love with every bite.
1/2 butternut squash
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup cashews
5 fresh sage leaves
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, plus a few leaves for garnish
12 ounces linguine pasta
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 slices of Prosciutto
- Cut the veggies : For this recipe, cut up half a butternut, 2 shallots and 3 cloves of garlic.
- Roasting the veggies : Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Drizzle olive oil over the cut side of the butternut squash and season with salt and pepper. Place the squash, cut-side-down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add the shallots and garlic to the baking sheet. Roast for approximately 30 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- In a high-speed blender, combine : 1 cup of the roasted butternut squash. Roasted shallots (peeled). Roasted garlic cloves (peeled). Cashews (for creaminess). Sage and thyme. Salt and pepper (to taste). Add a bit of water and olive oil to help the blending process. Blend until you achieve a thick, creamy sauce.
- Cooking the pasta : Cook your choice of pasta in a large pot of boiling water until it's al dente. Follow the package instructions for cooking time. Before draining the pasta, reserve 1 cup of the starchy pasta water.
- Combining the pasta and sauce : Return the cooked pasta to the pot. Stir in the prepared butternut squash sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce and coat the pasta, adjusting to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and garnish : Plate the pasta, and if desired, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and thyme. Enjoy your delicious homemade butternut squash pasta!
Optional: You can also cut one or two slices of prosciutto into strips and grill them to arrange on the plates before serving. This trick will add taste and beauty to the recipe.