This budget-friendly one-pot beef and macaroni dish is a simple and satisfying meal that's sure to be a hit with your entire family. In this recipe, we start by browning and cooking seasoned ground beef, then combine it with a tomato sauce crafted from pantry staples. Finally, the macaroni pasta simmers in the flavorful beef sauce for a delicious and effortless meal.
What do we need to make it
The full list of ingredients can be found in the recipe card at the end of this article.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used for sautéing the onions, red bell pepper, and garlic.
- Onion and garlic: Onions and garlic provide a savory flavor to the dish. They are typically sautéed until they become translucent, adding a delicious aroma and flavor to the base of the recipe.
- Red Bell Pepper: Red bell peppers add color and a sweet, slightly tangy flavor to the dish. They also provide a nice crunch and contrast to the other ingredients.
- Ground Beef: We use ground chuck 80/20 lean to fat ratio.
- Seasoning : The ground beef is seasoned with chili powder, salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Stock (Vegetable or Beef): Stock, whether vegetable or beef, adds moisture to the dish and binds the ingredients together.
- Macaroni: Macaroni is our pasta of choice for this recipe. It's cooked until al dente and absorbs the flavors of the sauce.
How to make it
Full instructions in the recipe card below
- Chop and cook vegetables.
- Cook meat.
- Cook pasta.
- Add spinach and serve.
Fresh green salad: A simple salad with lettuce leaves, arugula or other fresh greens. You can dress it with a light vinaigrette of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Grilled vegetables: Vegetables such as grilled zucchini, peppers or asparagus would add a touch of freshness and texture alongside the pasta.
Roasted cherry tomatoes: Oven-roasted cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil, salt and pepper would be an excellent sweet and tangy complement to counterbalance the richness of the recipe.
Storing Leftover Pasta:
Cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
Reheating Leftover Pasta:
Use stovetop, microwave, or oven. Add a bit of liquid (water or sauce) to prevent drying. Heat until warmed through, stirring as needed. Avoid overcooking to prevent mushiness.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
This budget-friendly one-pot beef and macaroni dish is a simple and satisfying meal that's sure to be a hit with your entire family. In this recipe, we start by browning and cooking seasoned ground beef, then combine it with a convenient tomato sauce crafted from pantry staples. Finally, the macaroni pasta simmers in the flavorful beef sauce for a delicious and effortless meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup stock (vegetable or beef)
- 240g macaroni (uncooked)
- Optional: a handful of spinach
- Chop and cook vegetables: Cut onion and bell pepper into medium-sized pieces. Mash garlic cloves (with a garlic press). Cook in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown.
- Cook meat: Add ground beef and spices and cook until meat is brown. Then stir in the tomato sauce and stock.
- Cook pasta: Stir in pasta and cover over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the type of pasta chosen. Stir halfway through cooking.
- Add spinach and serve: Add spinach if desired and stir until melted. It's ready, serve hot and bon appétit!
- You can substitute in any veggies of your choice. zucchini and corn also work great here.
- For topping you can use chili flakes and grated parmesan for an extra flavour kick. Otherwise, it’s great as is!
- This recipe is great to meal prep and serve for the entire week.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Pasta
- Method: One-Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Mac and Beef, Beef Pasta, One-Pot Beef Pasta, One-Pot Pasta